Friday, April 15, 2022

My Boy, My Joy



           My Boy came to our house on the day of the Panguni Pongal, the main highlight of the Mariamman Festival held last week in our town. My last post  depicts that  Utsavam  and the related events .Can there be any festival globally without  vendors, selling colourful articles for household, the kids and also for the adults. Giving and getting thiruvizha kasu, irrespective of the age is a part of such festivals. Petty cash was distributed during the Arupathu Moovar Thiruvizha at Mylapore as long as my mom was alive.

          This Tom Cat, just for fifty rupees was so attractive and tempting, when we went around the temple late at night, enjoying the Pongal cooked in pots using firewood and the bustling crowd. There can be no festival sans the crowd. This balloon cat, with a big smiling yellow face, wearing a bright blue attire and a big tummy seemed to beckon us to be taken home. It may be thought as weird to buy a balloon at such an age and only passionate people like my mom, who finds a big joy in small things can understand this.

          My Boy can be a source of joy, if smileys are stress busters. Seated, rather standing on a table in the  front room of our ancestral house in our hometown, he seems to smile and greet us as we pass by him, luring my spouse also to be a big fan of him. He often refers to him as, Payyan jammun irukkane.

        

No comments:

Post a Comment